I have a passion that burns within me that I have felt for many years. It is the passion with which I have chosen to work with the youth and one that causes me much concern for them today. It is the subject of teen suicide that I speak. I feel impelled at this time to share, that as a teen, I too experienced the desperation of needing to escape and leave this life of pain, hurt, betrayal, loneliness, depression and fear. It was a deep, dark hole that I never want to ever find myself in again. And whatever the reason one may find him or herself there, it is a very real place and I want to acknowledge that.
My first experience with suicide came after spending a weekend with a first cousin. She was just a few years older than I at the time and took her own life just a few days later. The impact on my life has had far-reaching effects, one of which was just recently when one of her brothers also took his life in the same manner. I know of a high school peer that took his life as well.
Now let me share with you, after having walked through those desperate shoes, that it is not only possible to climb out of that deep, dark hole, but to want to climb out and then help others to do the same. It is through the very means that we try to leave through that dark hole in the first place; It is called “escape.” In all reality, we have let our lives get out of balance with our spirit self and we have lost sight of who we really are and why we are here on the earth and so we try to find an escape so we don’t have to feel the pain and discomfort associated with being out of balance. How we escape is the key.
We all lived before this life preparing to come down to earth to serve a purpose. We are not just evolved matter that began to be for no reason. What is the purpose of life if we do not have a creator that is bigger than ourselves that created us and taught us and then sent us here to do something great? Not just exist, but to be and do something extraordinaire! One who knows these truths cannot look at the vast heavens with the billions of stars and planets, and galaxies upon galaxies, and not feel that there is something bigger to this picture called life. When you know the purpose of life, you cannot look at this living planet full of so much life and not marvel at the animal kingdom and the beauties of plant life… and not see God’s hands in every detail. You won’t look at a newborn babe at its mother’s breast or an aging man or woman at the threshold of death without experiencing a lump in your throat from the magnitude of the glorious creation and cycle of life our Father in Heaven gave us. God is everywhere, in everything, and in every breath we take. This knowledge is a priceless gift that comes when you know where you came from, why you are here, and where you are going. You then, are in a place that you can understand what your purpose and mission is here on earth.
If anyone within the reach of my words feels like they are a nobody or desires to “escape” to nothingness, whether in their mind or by action, PLEASE, hear me now… YOU are essential to this world, this purpose of life, this cycle of life. YOU have a mission here along side the rest of us. YOU just have to search for it and find it and when you do, you will know without a doubt why you are here and then YOU will be unstoppable!
I implore you now, instead of escaping to nothingness, Begin a journey to escape to new heights by finding out who you are and what your mission is here on earth:
1. First, start with prayer. Drop to your knees, if you haven’t already, and ask your Maker, Creator, Higher Power, Father in Heaven… in the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer to come to your aide and help you. Ask Him to send your angels to attend you and lift you to a higher place of love and healing. Ask Him to fill your soul with comfort and peace. Ask Him to help you to know that He exists and loves you. Pour out your heart to Him and then just listen and let Him wrap you in the arms of His almighty love. I promise you will not get up off your knees the same person that you were. He loves you so inherently, you cannot even comprehend in this life how much.
2. Besides prayer, music is one of the highest forms of vibrations of heaven that I know of. I’m talking about pure inspirational music that will lift you out of that deep dark hole and take you to a new place, a higher place, and make you feel like there is hope. Listen and let it awaken something in you and empower you.
3. Next start a journal. If you don’t have one, get a notebook and start writing in it immediately. Write your dreams, the longings of your heart, the innermost heartfelt desires and then share them with God, the universe, your higher power and believe they will become a reality.
4. Very importantly, be grateful. Give thanks to God, the universe, your higher power… for everything you have already received. Count them, if you have to, in order to see the blessings already in your life. It’s amazing how many blessings we have overlooked when we actually count them.
5. And by all means, Hang On! Seek help from an adult you trust. Whether it’s a parent, aunt, uncle, leader, teacher or crisis hot line, get help. That is a must in order to get the support you need. Do not feel embarrassed to reach out. There are many that have been in your same shoes and know how to help you because of it. You are important! You are worth it!
“The moment you’re ready to quit is usually the moment right before the miracle happens. Don’t Give Up!” Unknown
Escape to New Heights,
Don’t Give Up!
Come out of the darkness and into His light.
He will comfort you in your weakest hour
Look up and be healed with His atoning power. –Leslie E. Rogers
3 O Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
4 Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. –Psalms 30:3-5